Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tips & Tricks! (Engineering)

Alright now that I finished the basic arena perspective, I get to move on to fun stuff!
Most of these will be little tricks you can do to disorient someone or stop them. Not all of it revolves around the survival tree, but more of hunters in general. Combine them with the survival talents and you got yourself a hunter that is a bitch to kill!
All the more power to you if you already know these tips, but I'm sure that many people do not so I'll tell them.

First on the list Engineering

Probably not many of you are engineers, and that is fine since engineering blows now, and most of the stuff doesn't work in arenas, but nonetheless these are funny tricks that I love.

My all time favorite (Night Elf):
Get your Gnomish Cloaking Device and pair it up with Shadowmeld. When they see you and start coming, stealth, and then pop the cloaking device and run behind them. It lasts 10 seconds, and the cooldown is 10 seconds on shadowmeld. You have a second of lag while turning visible again and its rather easy to re-shadowmeld in a different location. MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE YOUR PET ON STAY OR IT WILL GIVE AWAY YOUR TRICK!! And after you relocate, be sure to put on a new trinket for DPS The common stereotype for Night Elves goes something like this:
Lol idiot huntard. Like I don't know where you went. What a stupid racial.. Now I can just take my time walking up to him...


But after using your cloaking device it goes something like this

Lol idiot huntard. Like I don't know where you went. What a stupid racial.. Now I can just take my time walking up to him...
*Blink*
*FROST NOVA*
WTF.. must have missed him
*Arcane explosion spam*
*Aimed shot in the ass, multishot, arcane, auto*
OUCH WTF WHERE DID THAT COME FROM

More than once I have been called a hacker doing this, it is extremely funny. The best part is you get range on a Mage and he has blink on CD as well as Frost Nova. This trick works well on any class, because you get to have the jump on them without them knowing where you are, but not quite as effective as on the Mage. Only downside is that it has an hour long cooldown.

Reflectors

These were so much more fun back in the day... They now nerfed the shit out of them and they have a 50% failure rate. However, out of all the wasted attempts, and all the pain and suffering of enduring the terrible profession that is engineering, the ONE time you reflect an AP POM Pyro is all worth it. I guarantee you will be pleased with this result. It is very difficult to do however, because you have to activate it before they shoot the spell, and the reflection effect only lasts 5 seconds. You will not have more than a split second to get it off after you see the lightning on their hands, and you will fail many many times.. but you will get one eventually, and it will all be worth it. If you can get it on fraps, bonus points. I show it happening once in Once Was Horde, one of my movies, and I wish I could have gotten that clip of when there was two macro mages in this 3v3... I could not stop laughing for 4 minutes.

Shadow reflector!
Yay! We all hate warlocks! Here is a nifty trick that you can only do as Survival with a shadow reflector that if it succeeds will almost always guarantee victory. It is really quite simple.. First Wyvern sting the warlock, then just prepare to do your volley, starting with Aimed Shot. Once the shot gets off, click your reflector, and proceed to continue the volley. I swear, 90% of the time every warlock is sitting there spamming skillcoil while they are CC'd.. so damn predictable.
Unfortunately, this trick works a lot less often than it used to. With reflectors success rate at 50%, and everyone having trinkets to get out of CC it isn't as guaranteed as it used to be, but the one time it happens you will love it. I show doing this strategy twice, once in my movie Bandet-2 versus a gladiator warlock, and once in Thrill of The Hunt Also, reflecting fear is a good alternative.

Grenades!
Ah yes, we all love grenades! They are kind of expensive now, but they can be great fun. If you want to go classy, you can go get some arcane crystals from thorium veins, they drop rather easily now, and make some arcane bombs. Drains 1k mana, 500 damage, and a 5 second silence. Gotta love it. Usually however I am stuck with the Adamantite grenade. Note: Use grenades, NOT bombs. You cannot move when casting a bomb, but you can move when casting a grenade. It was a very useful trick to toss a bomb when you were frost nova'd and in your deadzone, but that isn't as useful now when you can just reptar strike them in the face, however you could do it when your reptar strike is on cooldown.. Usually I use them in place of scattershot. In Thrill of The Hunt I show using them versus mages. In one scene, the mage resists my freezing trap after I scattered him over it, so I just lobbed a grenade at him and then Aimed shotted. You can also use your grenades to get off Aimed shots, the casting time is short enough to permit it now, especially when you pop rapid fire. In another scene, I show using it in place of a scatter shot when it was on cooldown to scatter trap someone. Or you can simply use it to interrupt casts.

Sapper charges
A not exactly useful tip, but very funny. Run up to someone in town and scream "ALLAHU ACKBAR" and then trigger a sapper charge and feign death. Looks excellent and you will atleast get a few lulz.

No comments: